Edward Lloyd Owen
[email protected] • +44(0)7790021367
I have been a Strategic Communications & Digital Media Consultant & Director for 15 years, and have developed deep expertise in leading military and civilian StratComm planning, public relations, media handling, counter-dis/misinformation, social media, crisis comms, target audience analysis, narrative construction and psychological operations.
I am a level-headed, flexible and proven leader in combat and hostile environments. I have training and experience in planning and executing military information operations, outreach & stabilisation operations, as well as civilian international corporate & political communications campaigns.
A freelance professional photographer of 10 years, I am also a member of the British Army’s Information Operations formation, 77th Brigade, since its inception in 2014, for which I have generated content across all channels.
I am looking for a senior leadership & comms role in government, geo-political, conflict or corporate strategic communications or info ops, and would be very happy to consider positions either within the United Kingdom or abroad.
~ Strategic Communications ~
- Social Media & Digital Strategy
- Content Generation – Photo/Video/Copy
- Information Domain & Environment Analysis
- Target Audience & Channel Analysis
- Strategic Info Ops & Narrative Construction
- Measure/Assessment of Effectiveness
- PR Planning, Media Handling & Spokesman
- Outreach & Engagement Planning & Ops
~ Operations & leadership ~
- Proven Leadership in Hostile Environments/Combat
- Decision Making, Gap Analysis & Briefing
- Current & Future Operations Management
- Capability Development
- Human Resources Management & Training
- Accounting & Financial Planning
~ Creative & technical Skills ~
- Professional News / Event Photography
- Narrative aligned storyboarding
- Film Making – producing, directing, editing
- Interview & Media Spokesman Training
- Copywriting & Article / Blog Generation
- Press Release / Statement / Speech writing
- SM Content within narrative framework
- Situational Report Writing & Briefing
- Web Design & Development inc ecommerce
- SEO, Google Web & Analytics, PPC, Paid Ads
- Expert software knowledge & experience in:
- Adobe CC: PS, Lr, LrC, In, Br, Ai, Premiere
- MS365 Suite: doc, xlsx, ppt, access, teams
- Misc other software – WordPress, Xero etc
77th Brigade, British Army ~ Captain (2014-Present)
- Psychological, Information & Media Operations Staff Officer, Planner & Practitioner; Counter-Dis/Misinformation Specialist; Combat Camera Team Leader (CCT) in Operational Media and Communications Group, 77th Brigade (77X) – Defence’s primary ‘Information Manoeuvre’ and StratComm formation.
- Media Operations Staff Officer and Combat Camera Team leader (2015-Present)
- Operational deployments to CYP, EST, KAZ, KEN, NGA.
- Intermittent staff officer support to UKSF from the UK.
- Lead Staff Officer for counter-disinformation and OSINT operations in 77X for C-19 support, reporting indirectly to the Head of the Govt Communications Service in The Cabinet Office and x-WH (2020).
- Security clearance: Developed Vetting (DV) & strap inducted.
The Ansel & Fox Group ~ Founder & Managing Director (Apr 2012-Present)
- Strategic Communications & PR, Management Consultancy, Leadership Training, Event Planning on an ad hoc basis.
- Expeditionary & Event Photographer; professional photography for events, weddings news, travel, portrait, corporates.
- Digital Content Creator/Curator/Strategist, Digital Marketing & Analytics, Web Designer/Developer.
- Private photographic curator/archivist & album designer for HNWs/UHNWs and other institutions.
A Short Walk Home ~ Long Distance Adventurer (Apr – Aug 2015)
- Walked across 9 countries on foot in 5 months: CYP, TUR, GRE, MKD, ALB, ITA, CHE, FRA, GBR
- Designed & built a dedicated website and curated specialist SM channels – whilst walking.
- Generated coverage in The Daily Telegraph, The Daily Mail et al, resulting in 2M OTS – whilst walking.
- Raised over £30,000 for Walking With The Wounded – a military charity dedicated to UKMil veterans.
ABF The Soldiers’ Charity ~ Senior Communications Consultant (Jan – Sep 2013)
- Senior comms planner and manager, overseeing all local PR & media activity across the UK for a national charity.
Member of Parliament for the Isle of Wight ~ Political Aide (Aug – Apr 2011)
- Chief of Staff, principal speechwriter & researcher for Member of Parliament.
Bell-Pottinger, Chime PLC ~ Middle East Digital Communications Director (Mar – Aug 2011)
- Specialist digital consultant providing digital StratComm and international PR advice to the BHR Govt and HRH The Crown Prince, Salman Al Khalifa, during ‘The Arab Spring’ in country.
- Director for all digital aspects of the IAA, most notably running the official BHR Govt’s Twitter feed.
- Designed and built the official website and other digital (social media) assets within 48 hours for the period of the National Dialogue – strategic negotiation between Sunni & Shia factions in country.
- Delivered strategic digital media analysis reports twice daily to HRH The Crown Prince.
- Delivered media analysis and StratComm recommendations to various BHR institutions.
- Other projects undertaken whilst working for Bell-Pottinger included:
- Weekly media products and analysis for the Office of the Prime Minister in KWT;
- The complete digital strategy and implementation plan for the Govt of KWT;
- The complete digital strategy and implementation plan for the Govt of LKA;
- Planned and delivered a PR event for the AFG Minister for Mining; and,
- Planned and delivered a conference for the UKR Hotel and Leisure Sector in Kiev.
WSM Communications Ltd ~ Senior Communications Consultant (Jan – Mar 2010)
- Sports Communications Consultant running the ISPS/Handa Golf Sports PR Strategy in the Far East.
- Oversaw and planned the development of the WSM Communications Ltd digital assets, including website.
The Royal British Legion ~ Communications Consultant (Oct – Dec 2009)
- Member of TRBL Comms team for Poppy Appeal 2009 including Royal Wootton Bassett repatriations.
ONE Communications Ltd ~ Account Director & Digital Manager (Sep – Oct 2009)
- Accounts managed included Project 65, Supacat, BLESMA, Fujitsu, BCB International, The Freemasons.
9th/12th Royal Lancers ~ Captain ( May 2002 – Aug 2008)
- Troop Leader; Squadron 2IC; RHQ Outreach & Stabilisation Staff Officer in IRQ; Media/Info Ops Staff Officer in FLK.
- Joint Operational Planning Course (2020)
- Joint Information Operations Course (2020)
- Psychological Operations & Target Audience Analysis Course (2019)
- Defence Communicators’ Course (2015)
- Combat Camera Team Planning Course (2015)
- Troop Leaders’ Development Course (2003)
- Commissioning Course at The Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (2002)
- MSc in International Communications / Politics or similar (planned for 2026)
- Application for History & Politics undergraduate course to Oxford University to start in Autumn 2022.
- Self-Study through remote learning – History & Politics A-Levels (2021)
- Oxford Media & Business School – Business Management & Administration (Distinction)
- Eton College – Maths, Physics, Geography A-Levels